4 Reasons I Love My Menstrual Cup

Reasons Why Menstrual Cups Are Great

Image created for Eco Fluffy Mama by Sarah from The Scarlet State

If you told me 5 years ago that I’d be raving about my menstrual cup, and talking openly about my period, I’d have said you were barmy. It seems strange now looking back and realizing how much I’ve changed.

4 Reasons I Love My Menstrual Cup

1) It saves me money: a menstrual cup costs anywhere from £9-£30 depending on the brand. However, that’s a purchase that will last you around 10 years depending on you looking after it. It’s a big saving!

Earthwise Girls estimate that disposable pads/tampons cost approx £260-£300 every 5 years which is based on spending £3-£5 per month. A menstrual cup will cost you from 15p-50p per month depending on the cost. As mentioned above, that up can last approx 10 years. HUGE saving.

2) Healthier to use: menstrual cups are healthier to use compared to tampons. Non-organic cotton tampons are known to contain dioxins left behind after bleaching. There have also been reported cases of roundup weed killer found in tampons! The vagina is one the most absorptive areas of the body. And with no ‘filter’ between the vagina and blood vessels, the toxic rubbish in tampons can get directly into the blood stream.

Menstruals cup are made of medical grade silicone, which is totally body safe. It doesn’t leach anything into the body, and just sits there to collect menstrual fluid.

3) Saving the planet: In a persons menstruating lifetime, they will throw away approx 15,000 pads/tampons. These will end up in landfill, and will take hundreds of years to break down*. This is due to the plastics that just do not break down. Some tampons and pads even wash out to sea and also wash up on our beaches. In 2014 the MCS (Marine Conservation Society) collected 2579 pads/tampons/backing strips in total from selected beaches that participated in the cleanup. That was an almost double increase on the previous year.

A menstrual cup is reusable and can be safely disposed of at the end of its long life.

* excluding compostable brands like Natracare, and other eco disposable brands.

4) Getting To Know My Body: since I started using a menstrual cup, I’ve become well acquainted with my body. Before then, I didn’t really “know” my body. I never explored how my vagina and vulva looked or felt around to learn. This actually meant I was a stranger to my own body. No knowledge of how it worked, or even feeling confident.

Using a cup meant that I had to learn through exploration. I learned what my cervix was, where it’s located and how it feels. Later I realized that it moves around during my cycle, which tied in with things like ovulation and menstruation. I learned a lot by simply ‘feeling around’. I was finally in control of my body, and that led to me feeling super confident.

Why do YOU love your menstrual cup? Let me know in the comments below <3

1. Clare B
    29th November 2016 / 12:58 pm

As well as all the reasons you listed I love that you never run out of sanitary wear with a menstrual cup like with tampons/pads etc. So you can’t get caught short. Unless you forget to take it somewhere with you but that has only happened to me once or twice in 12 years of using a Mooncup. I hated having to resort to disposables even just as a one off. I also love that I don’t have to worry about finding somewhere to dispose of a tampon or pad when out and about or even at someone else’s house it can be awkward.

• 30th November 2016 / 12:41 pm

It’s great, isn’t it? No needing to disposabe of pads/tampons in someone elses house when visiting. No running out, saving a tonne of money and better for our bodies. Win win! x

2. 29th November 2016 / 8:47 pm

I think these should be handed out in schools, would help to normalise them and get more women using them. Such a great eco friendly product.

3. 29th November 2016 / 9:13 pm

The more I have been thinking about it, the more I have been leaning towards using a cup. Essentially I hate tampons but use them because pads are not great for me as I have heavy blood flow. Definitely a venture I need to check out x

4. 29th November 2016 / 9:51 pm

I keep hearing about the cups but have never used one. I’m not too keen on these or tampons to be honest but I know they are growing in popularity.

5. 29th November 2016 / 10:25 pm

You are very brave to use this. I just can’t see myself with it. It scares me. LOL

6. 29th November 2016 / 10:25 pm

Wow – this is really interesting. I hate using tampons BUT I also hate using towels and having to change them all the time – and trying to sneak pads into the toilet at work. On reading this, I’m going to have to try it for sure. thank you!

• 30th November 2016 / 12:35 pm

Using a cup will cut down on how often you’d need to change. I have a heavy flow and I only need to empty 2 times during the day. Once on a regular flow day – so I put it in, in the morning and wear all day then empty before bed. Simple. x

7. 30th November 2016 / 9:53 am

I like menstrual cups, I’m still trying to find one that works well with me as in how it fits and feels.

• 30th November 2016 / 12:33 pm

Have you measured your cervix height? That way you can find a cup that will fit and be comfortable for you 🙂 just type cervix height into my search bar.

8. christy bartle
    30th November 2016 / 9:58 am

I find it so much more comfortable than tampons were… And i love the money savings x x

• christy bartle
      30th November 2016 / 10:01 am

Though i do love the environmental aspect too….no more pads and tampons laying in landfill. And i never run out…I know I always have enough supplies for my period even if it turns up unexpectedly early.

• 30th November 2016 / 12:31 pm

Yay for never running out!

9. 30th November 2016 / 10:36 am

Wow, that’s a huge amount of money saved, I never really looked at it like that. I’m always running out of sanitary products and dashing to the shops, I guess you don’t have that problem

• 30th November 2016 / 12:30 pm

It’s crazy how much money you save by switching to a cup or even cloth pads. Nope, never ever run out anymore. I am so much more comfortable and only need to empty my cup once a day. Have you considered switching?

10. Ana
    30th November 2016 / 11:08 am

I don’t use still a menstrual cup but I starting soon .

• 30th November 2016 / 12:29 pm

Ooh have you chosen a cup, or do you need help?

• Ana
        4th December 2016 / 6:28 pm

Yes , I chose,it’s a Ruby M purple :).

11. 30th November 2016 / 1:33 pm

It is one thing I just cannot bring myself to use, despite all the really good reasons you list hun x

• 1st December 2016 / 12:42 pm

That’s a shame – it’s something I was dead set against. I remember seeing the stickers for Mooncup on the back of toilet doors and thinking ‘YUCK!! NO WAY!’ – took years before I finally took the plunge. I was really struggling with heavy flow and changing every hour. Also tampons hurt, like when I removed them they felt like they were pulling out my insides despite the tampon being totally full. Now with a cup, I empty only a couple of times during day on heavy days, and on regular days I empty it once a day. It’s really revolutionized my period and made life more comfortable. xx

12. 30th November 2016 / 4:44 pm

It’s great to be able to make a difference on the environment even by doing the smallest things – things like these and cloth pads, if we all used them, there’d be a massive difference!

13. 30th November 2016 / 7:24 pm

I make conscious efforts to be more eco friendly, but I hadn’t considered that would extend to that time of the month. I will read more on your blog about menstrual cups to become better acquainted.

14. 30th November 2016 / 8:13 pm

I’m very much a stranger to the inner workings of my body but I have looked at menstrual cups previously and then just got confused. I think I’ll need to just bite the bullet and see if they suit me.

15. 30th November 2016 / 9:15 pm

I don’t own one but sounds fab as feel buying sanitary pads the most annoying thing to spend on. How is it my fault that I need to get them? Free contraceptive pill but something I can’t control isn’t. That makes lots of sense! It’s a feminist issue that truly annoys me d

• 1st December 2016 / 12:37 pm

It’s frustrating isn’t it? Especially with how they’re taxed. So many people have to choose between putting food on the table or buying menstrual products. If they had access to reuables (even cloth pads if cups aren’t their thing), it’d mean they’d never be without. Especially homeless – currently working on another project to get cups to homeless folks <3

16. 30th November 2016 / 9:36 pm

I’m in-between loving and hating the cup. I love the cost and environmental aspects of it, but I just can’t get it in right.. AND I’m still a bit icked out by it all!

17. 1st December 2016 / 9:33 am

I’ve heard quite a lot about these but am yet to have tried one x

18. serenityyou
    1st December 2016 / 5:46 pm

Never used one before, but really curious about how you insert it. Do you have to empty it out every few hours? And is it messy?

19. sparkles81
    1st December 2016 / 8:11 pm

I love how eco friendly a menstrual cup sounds but it is just not something I would use. Interesting post tho! 🙂

20. 1st December 2016 / 10:35 pm

I was watching a youtube channel recently explaining how you use one and showing the fold etc and I can’t help thinkin they are way too big for me. I would have to invest in pads that are recyclable which I know you have featured before 🙂

21. 1st December 2016 / 11:03 pm

I honestly never even contemplated using a menstrual cup until ready your blog. Thank you. Thank you for completely changing my ideas! Whenever my period comes back, I will definitely be trying one

22. 1st December 2016 / 11:20 pm

I’ve never tried a menstrual cup but I do use tampons. I only have a very light period now.

23. 2nd December 2016 / 2:27 am

I don’t have a menstrual cup but I don’t have periods- yay for the implant!

24. 2nd December 2016 / 6:40 am

I think these menstrual cups are such a great idea. I get quarterly contraceptive injection so I don’t really get periods, but if I did, I’d definitely invest in one of these. Wish I had one when I was a teenager.

25. 2nd December 2016 / 10:47 am

I have never tried a cup, but reading all the reasons why I should it seems like a perfect option. I know friends who use them and absolutely love them! x

26. 2nd December 2016 / 12:00 pm

I’ve heard so many great things about the cups – It’s great to know there’s other options out there as well as tampons and towels.

27. 2nd December 2016 / 1:14 pm

I’ve never really looked into these as an option. But, this post has highlighted so many advantages of using one.

28. 2nd December 2016 / 1:22 pm

I’ve heard a lot about these before, not sure I’m ready to try one just yet though x

29. 2nd December 2016 / 5:45 pm

I have a confession to make, I have never actually seen what a menstrual cup looks like or even know how it works. I am so set in my ways with pads that I never considered them but I learn something new everytime I visit your blog

30. 2nd December 2016 / 11:14 pm

I am a tampon user, mainly because I’ve never really learnt about anything like this. Interesting read and I’ll definitely be looking into it! Such a huge saving monetry wise!

31. 3rd December 2016 / 12:47 am

I loved my Moon Cup when I had periods. Such a shame they came out towards the end of my menstrual lifetime. One of the things they help in later life/after children is understanding if your cervix/pelvic floor is dropping as you feel it when putting the cup in or out.

32. 3rd December 2016 / 1:40 am

Very intresting! I just got coil and I can’t use tampons and I am seriously in agony with pads! I may give a go to cup, but I am just scared to put this giant thing down there 🙂

33. 4th December 2016 / 4:18 pm

I never tried it. the lists above seems to make sense. R

34. 5th December 2016 / 12:04 am

I started using one just a few months back.. The first month I hated it but made myself try again and couldn’t imagine not having it now. It is so easy to use, comfy and no chemical smell!

35. 11th December 2016 / 3:02 pm

This is a great post! I’m not quite there yet with menstrual cups/reusables mainly because when I’ve looked at them they always seem to be far too big for me and I don’t imagine them to be comfortable inside me for any length of time. Do you have any suggestions for small ones, maybe that would be suitable for teenagers? (I’m a lesbian and haven’t had a baby so I’m really tiny).

V <3

Sirvikalot Blog

• 11th December 2016 / 3:45 pm

The Lunette size 1, Lena Small and even a small or medium in MeLuna. I have discount codes for various retailers if you want them? xox

• 5th May 2017 / 5:02 pm

Yes please. That would be great. This is actually what my dm on twitter is about. I’d forgotten what ones you’d recommended.

36. 16th January 2017 / 12:53 pm

Oh, menstrual cups, my favourite zero waste switch!
    I love how easy it is to use and how long I can keep it in, especially because I though it is gonna be the other way around. Such simplified period time! I am trying to convince all my friends to get one 🙂
    Cheers, Sara

37. Roxanne Thorne
    9th April 2017 / 10:40 pm

You don’t have to make sure you have enough sanitary towels or tampons, even if you don’t have any CSP clean you have something!

38. Heather Link
    11th April 2017 / 3:47 pm

The more I hear about cups, the more I think I need one lol. Thank you for your great article!

• 11th April 2017 / 4:13 pm

You totally do! Cups have been such a period game changer for me! xo

39. Cassie
    12th April 2017 / 10:52 am

Brought my first mooncup this week, looking forward to trying it out. I’ve had cloth pads and sea spong tampons for nearly a year and I love that with every period we’re saving the world and our environment that little bit more. The world will be greener for our children