If you told me 5 years ago that I’d be raving about my menstrual cup, and talking openly about my period, I’d have said you were barmy. It seems strange now looking back and realizing how much I’ve changed.
4 Reasons I Love My Menstrual Cup
1) It saves me money: a menstrual cup costs anywhere from £9-£30 depending on the brand. However, that’s a purchase that will last you around 10 years depending on you looking after it. It’s a big saving!
Earthwise Girls estimate that disposable pads/tampons cost approx £260-£300 every 5 years which is based on spending £3-£5 per month. A menstrual cup will cost you from 15p-50p per month depending on the cost. As mentioned above, that up can last approx 10 years. HUGE saving.
2) Healthier to use: menstrual cups are healthier to use compared to tampons. Non-organic cotton tampons are known to contain dioxins left behind after bleaching. There have also been reported cases of roundup weed killer found in tampons! The vagina is one the most absorptive areas of the body. And with no ‘filter’ between the vagina and blood vessels, the toxic rubbish in tampons can get directly into the blood stream.
Menstruals cup are made of medical grade silicone, which is totally body safe. It doesn’t leach anything into the body, and just sits there to collect menstrual fluid.
3) Saving the planet: In a persons menstruating lifetime, they will throw away approx 15,000 pads/tampons. These will end up in landfill, and will take hundreds of years to break down*. This is due to the plastics that just do not break down. Some tampons and pads even wash out to sea and also wash up on our beaches. In 2014 the MCS (Marine Conservation Society) collected 2579 pads/tampons/backing strips in total from selected beaches that participated in the cleanup. That was an almost double increase on the previous year.
A menstrual cup is reusable and can be safely disposed of at the end of its long life.
* excluding compostable brands like Natracare, and other eco disposable brands.
4) Getting To Know My Body: since I started using a menstrual cup, I’ve become well acquainted with my body. Before then, I didn’t really “know” my body. I never explored how my vagina and vulva looked or felt around to learn. This actually meant I was a stranger to my own body. No knowledge of how it worked, or even feeling confident.
Using a cup meant that I had to learn through exploration. I learned what my cervix was, where it’s located and how it feels. Later I realized that it moves around during my cycle, which tied in with things like ovulation and menstruation. I learned a lot by simply ‘feeling around’. I was finally in control of my body, and that led to me feeling super confident.
Why do YOU love your menstrual cup? Let me know in the comments below <3