Why Should You Use A Bamboo Toothbrush?

Zero Waste Bamboo Toothbrush For Eco Friendly People

There’s no denying that the Zero Waste movement is gaining a lot of momentum. Thanks to many people turning to blogging about their journey with Zero Waste, there’s been a huge spotlight shone upon our atrocious plastic problem. It’s everywhere. We are literally surrounded by plastic, and it’s been estimated that by 2050, there will be more plastic than fish in our oceans¹.

I’m often asked ‘what changes should we make?’ and there’s one thing that I feel is super easy but important to change; your toothbrush. With 4.7 billion toothbrushes being made annually², which we are advised to change every 3 months, it seems a pretty important item to switch to a more sustainable and eco-friendly option ASAP.

Switching To A Bamboo Toothbrush

Bamboo is a natural plant based material which, at the end of its life, is totally biodegradable and can even be composted. Bamboo is a sustainable material and grows super quick. I think it also looks quite nice, too.

Bamboo toothbrushes have a bamboo handle, and typically bristles made from nylon. Some brands out there use nylon4 for their bristles, which are shown in a lab to be biodegradable. Huzzah!

Zero Waste Sustainable Toothbrushes For Eco Conscious People

What To Do With Your Old Plastic Toothbrush?

I am a huge believer in repurposing things into something else once it’s no longer good for it’s intended purpose. Long before I started this blog and before I had my son, I used to work in the motorcycle industry. I also rode motorbikes (I still miss my Honda CB1000R and my Triumph Street Triple R – *reminisces about a past life*), and any biker will tell you how useful old toothbrushes are. I used them for cleaning hard to reach places, drive chain, and other nooks and crannies.

You see, toothbrushes make excellent detail cleaners and make scrubbing at smaller details SO much easier. I often clean my 4 year old’s shoes with warm water and a toothbrush. Here’s a list of other ideas for uses for your old toothbrush:

• Detail cleaner for hard to reach places (esp great for cars, motorbikes and pushbikes)
  • Shoe sole cleaner (seriously great at cleaning tread on shoe soles)
  • Plant pot label stick
  • Stain treatment on clothes (use the brush to help lift away stain with a stain remover)

Where Can I Buy Bamboo Toothbrushes?

They are available pretty much worldwide now at a host of various retailers, or directly from the brand.

I personally like to buy from reputable retailers like The Natural Collection*, Big Green Smile*, and Boobalou (code EcoMama gets you 10% off) or if you’re in the USA, from Life Without Plastic*.

Have you or will you switch to a bamboo toothbrush?

Sources:

1. By 2050 there will be more plastic than fish in our oceans – BBC
  2. About 4.7 billion toothbrushes are manufactured each year – The Hindu

*This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything, but I make a small percentage from the sale which helps pay for my website costs. Thank you for supporting me!

1. 27th March 2017 / 6:13 pm

I really want to make the switch but I’m currently using an electric toothbrush on the recommendation of my dentist. My teeth do feel a lot cleaner. My partner uses a bamboo brush and it seems a lot softer. Do you find this at all? I’d love to switch but as someone who has had dental issues, I’m nervous to switch.

• 13th April 2017 / 8:45 pm

That’s really difficult. I think you can’t compare an electric to a manual, regardless of material. It’d be nice if replacement heads were at the very least something that could be recycled. But having contacted various brands, I was left disappointed to hear they don’t offer a recycling service. You could always trial one for 3 months?

2. 27th March 2017 / 10:45 pm

These sound so eco friendly! And battery operated ones seem to always stop working with me, so is there any point?

3. 28th March 2017 / 9:14 am

I have tried bamboo toothbrushes and I think they’re an easy swap if you use a regular plastic toothbrush. I’d use these for travel or camping instead of taking a plastic brush. However, I still have my electric toothbrush on the go at the moment and do find that I get a better clean. There is of course the dilemma that whilst the toothbrush lives on for a long time you have to be buy new heads which I don’t really like doing so at some point I will have to decide what to do. In the meantime, I may try bamboo for the children.

Like you we use old toothbrushes for cleaning other things.

• 13th April 2017 / 8:40 pm

I wrote to various electric toothbrush companies, and not one takes back the old heads. Which I find to be pretty crappy. Considering how much waste is made, you’d think they’d have a recycle scheme in place 🙁

4. Rianne
    28th March 2017 / 9:31 am

I find that plastic toothbrushes are also good for brushing wigs made of anything other than proper hair. They break and get brittle from proper brushes and combs so I use tooth brushes and it works a charm!

5. 28th March 2017 / 3:31 pm

I possibly will change my tooth brush, as just been looking at these recently 🙂 x

6. 28th March 2017 / 9:29 pm

I like the idea of joining the zero waste movement and a bamboo toothbrush sounds like a logical alternative I could get into!

• 13th April 2017 / 8:38 pm

I love my bamboo toothbrush. Looks great and so much better than plastic.

7. 29th March 2017 / 1:03 am

I’ve been looking at getting bamboo toothbrushes for all of us recently actually! Thank you for sharing!

8. 29th March 2017 / 1:21 pm

I’ve never used a bamboo brush, though only because I’d never heard of them. I’m definitely not opposed to the idea 🙂

9. 29th March 2017 / 6:58 pm

I use a rechargeable sonic toothbrush, but use a regular one for travelling, etc. I’d definitely consider using a bamboo toothbrush instead – are they much more expensive?

• 30th March 2017 / 12:21 am

Nope! They’re usually a couple of quid. Check out the links I put at the end of the post 🙂

10. 30th March 2017 / 7:33 am

This is such a brilliant idea, I have never seen these about but will certainly look into them x

11. 30th March 2017 / 2:15 pm

They look great! I always reuse my plastic toothbrushes, mainly for cleaning around the sink area!

12. 4th April 2017 / 9:59 am

I totally get the point and would love to switch (more so for aesthetic reasons – hate too much plastic around the house) but I would be nervous too about whether i get the same result as an electric toothbrush. My hubby smokes so he definitely needs a good brush for those stains…. Well… will give it a go! 🙂

13. 8th April 2017 / 7:03 am

I have just made a switch to an electric toothbrush so if there was an eco friendly version of that I would definitely give it a go but I still love the idea of a bamboo toothbrush

14. Sarahjane
    8th April 2017 / 5:30 pm

This is the first time I’ve heard of bamboo toothbrushes, such a good idea!

15. 8th April 2017 / 10:41 pm

This is such a great suggestion, I wouldn’t have thought about switching out my toothbrush to something like bamboo but you make a very good point and I will look at bamboo ones next time. I do, however, always keep my old toothbrushes for detail cleaning in the bathroom – they really help get into the corners and between the tiles. x

• 13th April 2017 / 8:34 pm

Old toothbrushes have so many good uses!

16. 9th April 2017 / 10:15 am

This is really interesting – I’ve never even heard of bamboo toothbrushes! xx

17. 9th April 2017 / 6:07 pm

Great post and so interesting! I think I’m converted already and seems so cool to use!

• 13th April 2017 / 8:31 pm

They look cool and are super eco friendly. Let me know how you get on!

18. 10th April 2017 / 9:49 am

The initiative to lessen the use of plastics made me realize to yes, why not use this kind if available in the market. Glad I came over this post.

19. 10th April 2017 / 11:27 pm

I am so intrigued by the zero waste movement and am definitely going to thoroughly go through your blog. I love the idea of switching to a bamboo toothbrush.

• 13th April 2017 / 8:33 pm

I’m so glad to hear that. One tip: don’t panic. Many people I speak to suddenly find themselves immersed in the lifestyle with a list of things that others say aren’t zero waste and should be changed. BUT it’s not all or nothing. Just do what you can for your circumstances and start small. Good luck!

20. 12th April 2017 / 1:07 pm

There are so many things we use aren’t there, that will be on the planet for hundreds of years. Toothbrushes is definitely one of them, so I’ll be looking into this alternative!

21. 15th May 2017 / 6:44 pm

This sounds like a good idea, thanks for the awareness. I’ll look into it!

22. Shannon
    15th May 2017 / 8:59 pm

Was just looking at these today, trying to decide which to get!

• 19th May 2017 / 12:17 am

I did link a few, if that helps at all?

23. 14th June 2017 / 2:53 pm

I finally made the switch feel so much better for it! Commited for life!

24. 25th June 2017 / 1:45 pm

I’ve long used an old toothbrush to clean the chain on my bicycle, it’s great for getting into all those teeny nooks and crannies!

You’re so right that a bamboo toothbrush is beautiful.

Becky