My Zero Waste Bathroom Tips

Before getting into a greener way of living, and then zero waste, my bathroom used to be cram packed full of product after product. Multiple bottles of shampoo for different needs and shower gels/bubble baths lined up on the edge of the bathtub, and other supposed ‘essentials’ stacked up on shelves. Of course, I always moaned about how expensive it was for all those bits, and how the bathroom always felt cluttered. But I didn’t know any different. And to me, this was normal.

Looking back now I am absolutely horrified about my excessive consumption of products and the waste generated from just one area of my life. In a bid to help you declutter and ease into zero waste, I’ve put together a few tips for things that I feel are zero waste bathroom essentials.

Switching To Zero Waste Bathroom Products Can Help Save Waste

Zero Waste Body & Facewash

I really recommend purchasing a vegan soap and where possible, package free. There are some health shops that do this, but if not try and at least opt for paper or card packaging that can be recycled. Companies like Big Green Smile sell a wonderful soap called Oliva* which is a super mild castile 100% olive oil soap. It’s super cheap and free from plastic packaging. Not to mention very effective for use top to toe.

If using soap on your face isn’t your thing, try making a facial oil. I personally love using sweet almond with a little argan oil, which is a great combo for my skin. Avoid coconut oil as it’s drying when used as a cleanser, and has a comedogenic rating of 4, meaning it’ll likely cause clogged pores and breakouts.

Safety Razors Are Great For Zero Waste Shaving

Zero Waste Shaving & Waxing

Before plastic razors came around, safety razors were a staple item for hair removal. What’s great about them is that you only need to replace the metal blades. Which, being made of steel, are able to be recycled. Not to mention the blades are usually super cheap and many come in a little card package. Providing you care for it, your safety razor will last a lifetime. You can even pass it down to someone else. Check our my blog post on safety razors for more info.

If you prefer waxing, I would suggest trying out sugaring/sugar waxing. It’s just water, lemon juice, and white sugar mixed together and heated to turn it into a sticky mixture. What’s great about it, is that it doesn’t rip skin and is dissolvable with warm water.

Reusable Menstrual Products Like Menstrual Cups And Cloth Pads Are Great Zero Waste Alternatives

Zero Waste Period Products

By using a menstrual cup or cloth pads, you can completely eliminate rubbish/trash. As they’re reusable, there’s no waste and nothing to throw away. You can also save a lot of money by switching. My personal faves are Lunapads, and Lunette*.

If reusables aren’t your thing, consider eco and organic brands. I personally rate Natracare*, Naty and Organyc.

Zero Waste Hair Washing For Eco Conscious Households

Zero Waste Hair Care

For zero waste shampoo and conditioners, try using a shampoo bar with an ACV (apple cider vinegar) and water rinse. I mix 1 tbsp of ACV with approx 200ml filtered water and keep it in a glass spray bottle. If your hair is oily, you may want more ACV. But do experiment with ratios until you find one that suits. You will definitely need the ACV rinse after using a shampoo bar. This is to remove any residue, especially in hard water areas.

I personally swear by the Moroccan mint shampoo bar* by Aroma Awakening as a shampoo bar that really nourishes my hair. Plus it arrives without any plastic packaging, hurrah!

If you’re feeling adventurous, try making your own shampoo bar. This wonderful free recipe by The Nerdy Farm Wife is fantastic.

Zero Waste Bamboo Toothbrush For Eco Friendly People

Zero Waste Oral Care

As I mentioned in my blog post about bamboo toothbrushes, it’s important to consider using a toothbrush that is sustainable. Toothbrushes have a very short life span of 3 months, so just imagine the waste generated. What’s worse, every toothbrush ever made that was thrown into landfill still exists! Bamboo is a very fast growing material, and many brushes made from it can be composted after use.

Toothpaste is a little more difficult since I find that there’s conflicting advice regarding DIY toothpaste using bicarb soda and coconut oil. I’ve spoken to many dentists, and each have opposing opinions on whether bicarb is too abrasive or not. So I would suggest doing your own research on making your own toothpaste or toothpowder. For me, I alternate between my DIY toothpaste containing coconut oil and charcoal powder, and a toothpaste by a brand called Lavera.

What are your ‘Zero Waste Bathroom’ must haves?

*This post contains some affiliate links. It does not cost you anything, but I make a small percentage from the sale which helps pay for my website costs. Thank you for supporting me!

1. Diane
    8th April 2017 / 7:56 pm

– I’ve never had much luck pressing soap slivers together, so instead I’ve been throwing them in a mesh bag (made from an onion bag or an old loofah) and lathering up with them for a couple weeks. Over time, they end up sticking together naturally and softening up, and I’ve got a whole new soap bar to work with!
    – I use the Radius toothbrush system, which has a reusable handle. I think the heads are made from recycled materials/recyclable, but don’t quote me on that.
    – When my soap or shampoo bottles are low, I add a little water so I can get everything out. Can add a few weeks’ worth of washing!
    – I have a *strict* one-out-one-in policy for my bathroom products. I don’t buy new [shampoo/soap/lotion] until I’m on the dregs of my last container. I do take two-for-one deals, though. In the case of bars of soap… I haven’t bought one for myself in years because they keep getting gifted to me! 😆 This extends to candles, too, which I also haven’t bought in forever.

2. 9th April 2017 / 7:07 pm

Some food for thought right here and admittedly not something I have really thought about. I wont ever use a menstrual cup but the idea of cloth pads is worth thinking about!

3. Maria
    10th April 2017 / 2:18 am

My menstrual cup in combination worn cloth pads is the best for zero waste during my period. I’m never going back to pads or tampons.

• 11th April 2017 / 4:19 pm

Glad to hear you love your cup and cloth pads!

4. 10th April 2017 / 9:09 am

My bathroom is stuffed full of products I don’t use. It’s great to read about ways I can swap them out for more sustainable products.

5. 10th April 2017 / 3:57 pm

I admit I have probably quite wasteful so thank you for the tips, will definitely need to take this on board

6. 10th April 2017 / 6:20 pm

I love the ideas in this post, especially the pads one, I am one for always buying new stuff, maybe I should try some of these tips! 🙂

7. 10th April 2017 / 9:00 pm

These are fantastic tips – I haven’t really thought about it before but definitely will now. Kaz x

8. 11th April 2017 / 9:35 am

I actually really love the look of the razor, I’ve never seen one like that before.xo

• 11th April 2017 / 4:16 pm

It’s gorgeous, isn’t it? I adore rose gold so I had to buy it. There are many different colours/styles available and they really DO save money. The razor itself is an initial investment, depending on cost. But when you consider the fact it’ll last your entire life, and replacing blades is a lot cheaper, it will save you money (and give you a better, closer shave) xo

9. 12th April 2017 / 11:48 am

These are great tips! I love your Zero Waste series! xx

10. 12th April 2017 / 4:09 pm

These are some really great suggestions! I don’t often think about how much I’m wasting, so this is a great idea!

11. 12th April 2017 / 7:15 pm

This is really interesting and food for thought. I know we ought to ditch our liquid soaps and use bars of soap as it is so much better for your skin but they make such a mess! I need to rethink this and give it another go!

12. 12th April 2017 / 10:24 pm

I’m a big fan of CSP and try to cut down on unnecessary products. I only use hand soap (prefer water on face and body) and just shampoo x

13. 13th April 2017 / 10:55 am

These are some really good tips and ways to keep green and eco-friendly in the bathroom.

14. Lynne Harper
    13th April 2017 / 12:01 pm

We use Vegan soap and hair products already plus I have used CSP for years. I’m seriously concerning the switch to the toothbrushes next 🙂

15. 13th April 2017 / 11:27 pm

I’m always impressed by the many ways you avoid waste. It’s a scary thought about toothbrushes.

16. francesca
    14th April 2017 / 9:50 am

Great ways and ideas of being more eco friendly!! I’m not sure I’d be comfortable myself using re-usable pads and menstrual cups because my flow can be really heavy but I love the ideas here!

17. Tara
    10th May 2017 / 12:37 pm

Bathroom waste is my next hurdle I think!

18. Emily
    14th May 2017 / 1:42 am

Happy to see someone using Lavera products – a business based in my county! Great article, been looking for a less wasteful bathroom routine. Lush do some great shampoo bars, although they are a bit expensive!

• 15th May 2017 / 8:12 pm

I am surprised that more Green bloggers don’t seem to mention them! They’re a pretty fantastic brand and I really rate their stuff. I will never support Lush after their recent fat shaming promo. I love the shampoo bars I purchase from Aroma Awakening 🙂 x

19. 23rd May 2017 / 1:52 pm

What a great post! I’m always looking for ways to reduce waste, and somehow never really thought of bathroom/toiletry products. I’m looking to try sugar waxing soon and I love the idea of bamboo toothbrushes. Lovely stuff xx

20. 26th May 2017 / 11:32 am

I love the idea of those bamboo toothbrushes, will be checking them out for sure x

21. 26th May 2017 / 4:58 pm

I’ve been meaning to try some period products like this as I seem to spend so much money on pads and tampons x

22. 26th May 2017 / 8:42 pm

Great article this, the Olivia soap is fab and at only £1.39 it is a bargin! 🙂 x

23. 26th May 2017 / 9:52 pm

this is such an interesting post and I am really keen to try the razor as I get through so many disposable ones! 🙂 xx

24. ElleCappuchino
    30th May 2017 / 8:42 am

If I could swap from liquid soap to soap bars, I think it’d be such a big improvement. But what about all the reasons we started using liquid hand soap in the first place? It’s more hygienic, leaves less mess in your bathroom, doesn’t dry out into an insightful tacky looking thing. Or are these things not true or are there ways around them? Anyone’s thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• 30th May 2017 / 9:01 am

Where did you hear that liquid soap is more hygienic? It’s just a different method of soap application (If you’re referring to antibacterial hand washes* then Triclosan and other antibacterial ingredients – they were ordered to be removed because they are no more effective than standard bar or liquid soap). Both bar and liquid soap go through saponification to become soap. Most liquid soap is very wasteful due to the plastic bottle and pump. Unless of course you can access a refill station or make your own liquid soap (which is pretty fun) and reuse a plastic bottle and pump, or a glass one. Don’t think my bathroom looks like we have un-sightful tacky looking things in it. The issue most people have with soap bars is that they don’t use an adequate dish to allow the soap to dry between uses.

*not all liquid washes are soap. Soap is totally different to a wash/detergent.