I’ll be honest, I wasn’t planning on writing another plastic busting post for Plastic Free July. I wrote two posts last year for it, and just last month I did a post for #PlasticChallenge with some tips. Not to mention the month before that I did another plastic busting post for Earth Day. So I had planned on re-sharing that content. But it seems that you lovely lot actually want a post for Plastic Free July with some of my top tips. So here it is, enjoy!
Deodorant & Body Care
1) Switch to a natural deodorant in a glass jar, aluminium tin or cardboard tube. Brands such as Earth Conscious, Awake Organics and Meow Meow Tweet are fantastic.
2) Make your own DIY zero waste deodorant. I shared my very own DIY deodorant recipe here.
3) For washing your body and hair, invest in a decent bar of soap and a shampoo bar.
4) Exfoliate without plastic microbeads by using a dry body brush prior to shower or bath. Loofah brushes/mitts are also great for exfoliating, as are sugar or coffee scrubs.
6) Dabble with DIY and make your own dry shampoo. I have a DIY zero waste dry shampoo recipe that you can try out.
8) Try a menstrual cup or cloth pads. It’ll save you a lot of money! Two of my personal faves are the Lunette cup and Lunapads. If you need help, just browse my review sections and my period stuff category.
9) If reusable menstrual products aren’t your thing, try a plastic free pad and tampon brand like Natracare. They’re made from organic cotton, too.
Lunch Boxes,Wraps & Food Storage
11) Stainless steel containers are great for packed lunches, picnics and storing food. I’ve tried out Elephant Box and I love the different sizes and shapes available.
12) A great alternative for plastic sandwhich bags are the two options above but also snack wraps made from cotton with a velco closure. I recently reviewed a wrap by On The Go Design which I really rate.
13) Keep a cotton muslin or tea towel in your bag. It’s great to wrap up a stainless steel straw and cutlery in so you don’t use plastic ones when out. But also great for wrapping bread rolls, cake and other food stuff until you get home.
Straws, Flasks & Coffee Cups
14) Stop using single use plastic straws and instead invest in reusable versions. They’re available in bamboo, glass, silicone and stainless steel. Babi Pur stock some stainless steel straws and if you use code ECOFLUFFYMAMA you can snag 10% off these awesome rainbow Klean Kanteen ones or these plain stainless steel ones.
15) Invest in a reusable flask made from food grain stainless steel. You’ll save money by taking a drink to work/school or out with you. There are many brands out there such as Klean Kanteen and Elephant Box (10% off with PLASTICFREE10). Or, if you’re on a tight budget, try Glogg.
16) If you’re a coffee lover, invest in a reusable coffee cup and save disposable cups going to landfill. Brands like Ecoffee and Keepcup are well loved. To save money, it may be an idea to purchase an insulated stainless steel flask which can be used for both taking a drink out and for getting a coffee in. Huzzah for multipurpose items!
Carrier Bags, Fruit/Veg & Bulk
17) Reusable carrier bags are a great way to avoid single use plastic bags. Some even fold up super small in their own little pouch like the Onya bag (10% off with ECOFLUFFYMAMA) which is made from recycled bottles. I’ve collected various sorts of reusable carrier bags over the years from cotton totes to ones that fold up, and always keep one with me.
18) Buy your fruit and veg loose using cotton reusable cotton muslin or mesh bags.
19) Visit farm shops or stores that sell food loose and in bulk. Use old glass jars from jam, pickle etc to buy spices in bulk. Use your imagination!
20) Always keep some plastic busting supplies in your bag and if you drive, in your car, too. We always keep our reusable shopping bags in the boot of our car so we never forget them when shopping. And I always keep a cotton muslin in my backpack with a stainless steel straw and 2 foldup bags.
Plastic Free July Giveaway
I’ve teamed up with Earthwise Girls, Babi Pur and Elephant Box to giveaway a set of plastic free essentials. Up for grabs is a copy of Zero Waste Home, Wrap ‘n Mat food wrap, Klean Kanteen straws and a stainless steel flask by Elephant Box. All for one lucky person!
The giveaway is open to UK and Europe only. Please enter via the widget below, and do share this post with your friends. Good Luck!
Terms & Conditions: This giveaway is open to UK & Europe only, and entrants must be over the age of 18. Closing date of giveaway is 23rd July 2017. Winner will be chosen at random by Rafflecopter and their name announced from the 25th July 2017 on Eco Fluffy Mama’s Facebook and Twitter (pinned to the top of the page). Winners have 14 days to come forward before another winner/s will be picked at random. No cash alternatives to the prizes will be given.